Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Patriot Heroes

Today is National Patriots Day and my mind is on the events of 9/11/2001. May we never forget those who have served and those who have paid the ultimate price, not only that day, but throughout our great American history. So many have sacrificed so much for the freedoms we now enjoy.


Right here in Orting, both our police and fire departments are led by veterans. Bill Drake had a full career in the military prior to becoming Chief of Police. Randy Shelton followed his father in military service prior to being Chief of Orting Valley Fire and Rescue. Then his son Chris followed his family example of military service, served in several combat deployments and became a Purple Heart recipient.


Randy and I had many moments of sharing each other's pride and concern while both our sons were deployed. His in Afghanistan, and mine, John Ellson, in Iraq. I was so touched when taking this photo a few years ago on the anniversary of 9/11 when the local firefighters took a knee to say a prayer and remember those valiant patriots who lost their lives on that fateful day.


My niece's husband Phil stepped up to the patriot plate and re-enlisted. He just completed a deployment in Iraq as a Blackhawk pilot and is safely home with his family in Germany awaiting the birth of their third child. It was a happy day for Amy and the children when daddy came home.


For the first time in our nation's history we have a total volunteer force of men and women serving our country. The draft was in effect when my husband Jim and his friend Jim Tuggle were called to serve in Vietnam. It was a time of great national conflict. When they came home from their combat time there were no hero's welcomes, parades or confetti. Instead they were met with insults, protests and jeers. I hope the Vietnam veterans know today that their service was appreciated and they too are patriot heroes.


My Uncle Jack Witthuhn and cousin Bill Kelly also served in Vietnam in the 60's. I remember the letters we exchanged and have great admiration for both of them. Bill was my inspiration to learn the guitar, gave me folk records and taught me my first chords. Uncle Jack's letters were filled with faith and an example of trusting God in the most difficult times.


I spent my entire growing up years on military bases with my family while my father Ssgt. Joe Witthuhn served a career in the Air Force. We lived on Guam in the 60's where he worked on the airplanes flying missions to Vietnam. My Uncle Harold Witthuhn served in Germany during WWII. On the bad side, he was shot in combat. On the good side, he lived through it and brought home a beautiful German bride, Edith who was also a patriot by secretly helping American soldiers to safety and supplying them with food.


My friends Wayne and Beth Harman of Orting both served in WWII, he in the Army Air Corp and her in the Army Nurses Corp. They married after the war and when they came home from their honeymoon a letter awaited them asking if they would go to Korea. They've raised a family and continue to be active in community service and the American Legion.


Mother to mother, my heart goes out to a business client, Mary Ann Ross of Yelm, whose son, Abe Twitchell, paid the ultimate price two years ago while serving in Iraq. We spoke on the phone today and she recalled getting a reassuring phone call from him on 9/11 telling her that planes had just flown into the Trade Towers and to turn on the TV. "I was just calling to let you know I'm alright, but you won't hear from me for awhile" he said.


Today, I salute and thank our patriots and their families. I pray for peace, comfort and courage for our nation and those serving. We will never forget the sacrifices of our great American patriots!







2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rhonda, for reminding us to thank all those who have helped to maintain the freedoms we enjoy today. We ARE proud of them - and now's the time to TELL them! /Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wonderfully thoughtful and kind. I wish I had half your talent. I have always appreciated your spirit and generosity. Thanks so much for thinking of our military and all that they do for us. You indeed are a Great American. Keep that wonderful smile on your face......

    ReplyDelete